There's nothing better than a home cooked meal, is there? This time we're making Maultaschen, which are basically Germany's answer to ravioli. We've fried ours until golden brown and crispy on the outside. Veganising this classic German dish has never been easier!
Makes around 20 portions
- 200g Easy Mix Egg
- 1000g fine milled plain flour
- 1000g semolina
- 20tbsp olive oil
- 5tsp salt
- 1kg pack Easy Mix Mince or Meatballs
- 250ml oat single cream
- 500g baby spinach leaves
- 5 onions
- 5 bunches parsley
- 10tsp medium-strength mustard
- Nutmeg to taste
- Salt and pepper
- 8L vegetable stock
- 20tbsp vegan butter, for frying
- 5 bunches parsley, finely chopped
- 40tbsp crispy onions
- Mix up the egg according to the instructions.
- Knead all the ingredients together until they form a dough. Wrap the dough in a ball and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Wash the spinach and chop finely.
- Peel and dice the onions.
- Chop the parsley finely.
- Mix the dry powder with the spinach, onion, parsley and the remaining ingredients for the filling.
- Then follow the normal instructions for the Easy Mix product. Make sure to use a little less water than directed, as the cream replaces some of the fluid.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of approx. 8mm.
- Spoon out the filling into the middle of the dough, leaving sufficient space at the edges and in between. Brush the dough on either side of each spoonful with water.
- Now fold one of the empty sides over the filling before following with the other side. Use a spatula to press the dough in around the filling.
- Cut the strip of dough into individual dumplings using a pastry cutter or sharp knife. Make sure each individual dumpling is sealed well.
- Bring the vegetable stock to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce the heat and cook the dumplings in batches. They are cooked once they float to the surface.
- Meanwhile, heat up some butter in a pan. Use a slotted spoon to remove the Maultaschen from the broth and add them into the pan.
- Once browned, serve the Maultaschen with crispy onions and parsley and any sides of your choosing. Why not try a potato salad and vegan gravy?